1. To make cashew cream, place cashews into a bowl, pour over 300ml hot water and leave to
soak for at least 2 hours.
2. Once the cashews are tender, drain and put into a food processor, along with 2 tablespoons
fresh water, garlic and lemon zest , and blitz until completely smooth and creamy, adding
additional water if desired. Set aside.
3. Heat 1 desertspoon of olive oil in a large saucepan, and sweat the onion until translucent.
4. Add the broccoli, peas, chilli and stock to the saucepan – the vegetables should be just
covered with water.
5. Bring to the boil, then simmer until the broccoli is tender, approximately 3-4 minutes. Avoid
overcooking the vegetables or they will turn a dull green colour. Chop the onions, parsnip,
pepper and carrots and fry lightly.
6. Using a stick blender, begin to blend the soup.
7. Add a handful of spinach at a time – it will cook as it is mixed into the soup, and continue
8. Blend until the soup is smooth and thick, then stir through half of the cashew cream.
9. Serve in bowls with a swirl of cashew cream on top, plus the fresh parsley.
Note: Courgettes, Kale and leeks also work well, along with any other greens from the fridge that
need using up.