There are currently permanent full time and part time permanent Senior Dietitian vacancies available in Connolly Hospital. A panel may be formed as a result of this campaign for Senior Dietitians from which current and future, permanent and specified purpose vacancies of full or part-time duration may be filled.
Metabolic surgery: This is an exciting new development post (0.5 wte) to establish and deliver a dietetic service to individuals identified for metabolic surgery for the treatment of type 2 diabetes and obesity. It will be part of a multi-disciplinary team for this new surgical service. This may be combined with 0.5 wte of an existing post within the surgical and general medical in-patient service.
Upper gastro-intestinal surgery: This is a new development post (0.5wte) to establish and deliver a dietetic service to patients attending the surgical/oncology service in the out-patient department. It will function within the multi-disciplinary team. This may be combined with a 0.5 wte existing post within the surgical and general medical in-patient service.
Nutrition Support (0.5 to 1.0wte available): Opportunity to work with existing surgical and medical multi-disciplinary teams to deliver a patient centred dietetic service to referred in-patients, including those requiring artificial nutrition support.
This campaign will run in compliance with the Code of Practice prepared by the Commission for Public Service Appointments (CPSA).
The CPSA is responsible for establishing the principles that should be followed when making an appointment. These are set out in the CPSA Code of Practice. The Code outlines the standards that should be adhered to at each stage of the selection process and sets out the review and appeal mechanisms open to candidates should they be unhappy with a selection process.
The CPSA Code of Practice can be accessed via https://www.cpsa.ie/.
Connolly Hospital, Dietetics Department comprises of 10.5 wte dietitians providing dietetic care across a range of adult specialties in the inpatient and outpatient settings. Specialties include critical care, general surgery, general medicine, orthopaedics, care of the elderly, cardiac rehab, stroke, diabetes and gastroenterology.
The department is also a dietetic student training site.
- The RCSI Hospital Group includes the following hospitals
- Beaumont Hospital, Dublin 9
- Cavan General Hospital, Cavan
- Connolly Hospital, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15
- Louth County Hospital, Dundalk,
- Monaghan General Hospital, Monaghan
- Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda
- Rotunda Hospital, Dublin 15
The Academic Partner for the Group is the RCSI
RCSI Hospital Group provides a national service and a regional service to Dublin and the North East and is committed to the provision of world-class care, exceptional clinical services with respect and compassion.
Connolly Hospital Blanchardstown is a major teaching hospital providing a range of acute medical and surgical services, day care, outpatient, diagnostic and support services. Emergency services are provided on a 365-day, 24 hour basis. Multi-disciplinary teams representative of medical, nursing, allied health professionals, management and general support staff play a pivotal role in the development, delivery, monitoring and evaluation of these services. The hospital has a current bed complement of >300 beds.
The hospital is affiliated to the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) for medical education, to Dublin City University (DCU) for nursing education and to University College Dublin (UCD), Trinity College Dublin (TCD) and the Institute of Technology for allied health professional education.
Connolly Hospital is one of 8 hospitals in the RCSI Hospitals Group covering a population of over 800,000 people. Connolly Hospital’s Catchment Population of over 331,000 covers Dublin West, North Kildare and South Meath.
To assist with the provision of a high level pharmacy service to Willow Day Ward and other wards and departments of Connolly Hospital Blanchardstown.
The Senior Dietitian will:
- Be responsible for the organisation, provision and evaluation of the Nutrition & Dietetic Services to patients in the acute setting as required.
- Develop, implement and monitor a plan of care, based on assessment of the patients’ nutritional needs
- Advise and liaise closely with the family/carers in the practical aspects of the agreed plan
- Liaise with the medical / nursing teams, health and social care professionals and other members of hospital staff in planning the nutritional care of patients.
- Liaise with multidisciplinary team, staff colleagues and dietitians in acute, community & other healthcare settings as appropriate.
- Participate in the medical team rounds, multidisciplinary meetings, case conferences, clinical meetings as required.
- Keep up to date with relevant scientific research findings and current practices and identify and update relevant measures in response to these findings.
- Contribute to development, implementation and evaluation of standards and policies within the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Assist in the development of diet sheets and nutrition education material in collaboration with colleagues.
- Participate in the development and evaluation of nutritional resource materials.
- Liaise with catering staff regarding the provision of therapeutic diets in accordance with national and hospital policy.
- Have very good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Maintain professional competence through continual update.
- Provide an expertise in the area of nutrition to staff colleagues
- Provide leadership to staff grade dietitians through the process of professional supervision, mentoring and tutoring
- Participate in training of student dietitians in association with dietetic colleagues.
- Maintain appropriate patient records and statistics in line with the department & hospital policy.
- Be actively involved in continuously improving the quality of the service, use audit and quality improvement methods to facilitate integrated care.
- Comply with policies, procedures and standards of care of the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Plan, implement and evaluate dietetic clinics where required.
- Ensure the ongoing review of existing resources and comply, develop and evaluate new resources to support and meet the needs of the target audience.
- Work within own scope of professional competence in line with principles of best practice, professional conduct and clinical governance.
- Promote a culture that values equality, diversity and respect in the work place.
- Maintain professional standards with regard to patient and data confidentiality.
- Carry out any other duties and responsibilities appropriate to the post that may be assigned by the Dietitian Manager.
Education & Training
The Senior Dietitian will:
- Attend mandatory training programmes.
- Maintain professional knowledge on relevant scientific research and practice development.
- Maintain standards of practice and levels of clinical knowledge by participating in continuous professional development initiatives and attendance at relevant courses as appropriate.
- Engage in career and personal development planning in collaboration with the Dietitian Manager.
- Provide induction and mentoring to professional colleagues. S/he will be open to reflective practice.
- Act as a resource by participating in the education and training of dietetic colleagues, other health professionals and service user groups as required.
- Manage, participate and play a key role in the practice education of student Dietitians.
- Participate in the development and evaluation of nutrition education resource material.
Health & Safety
The Senior Dietitian will:
- Comply with and contribute to the development of policies, procedures and safe professional practice and adhere to relevant legislation, regulations and standards.
- Work in a safe manner with due care and attention to the safety of self and others.
- Be aware of risk management issues, identify risks and take appropriate action.
- Identify and develop key Performance Indicators (KPIs) which are congruent with the Hospital’s and dietetic department service plan targets.
- Report any adverse incidents or near misses.
- Adhere to HSE policies in relation to the procurement, care and safety of any equipment supplied for the fulfilment of duty.
The above Job Description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
Candidates for appointment must:
- Be registered, or be eligible for registration, as a Dietitian by the Dietitians Registration Board at CORU.
- Have 3 years full time (or an aggregate of 3 years full time) post qualification dietetic experience.
- Candidates must have the requisite knowledge and ability (including a high standard of suitability and professional ability) for the proper discharge of the duties of the office.
- Provide proof of Statutory Registration on the Dietitians Register maintained by the Dietitians Registration Board at CORU before the contract of employment can be issued.
- On appointment practitioners must maintain annual registration on the Dietitians Register maintained by the Dietitians Registration Board at CORU.
- Practitioners confirm annual registration with CORU to the HSE by way of annual Patient Safety Assurance Certificate (PSAC).
Candidates for and any person holding the office must be fully competent and capable of undertaking the duties attached to the office and be in a state of health such as would indicate a reasonable prospect of ability to render regular and efficient service.
Candidates for and any person holding the office must be of good character.
Post Specific Requirements:
- Demonstrate depth and breadth of experience in the provision of high quality nutrition and hydration for the acute inpatients and in ensuring that national nutrition standards and guidelines are met as relevant to the role.
Skills & Competencies
Technical & Professional Knowledge
Has a command over the technical/ professional skills and knowledge required within the job holder’s role and continues to upskill to maintain high professional standards and continuous professional development requirements.
Leadership and Management
Manages performance to deliver team goals; demonstrates accountability for leading, directing, monitoring, and evaluating RCSI Hospital Group services. Creates a climate in which people want to do their best. Promotes confidence and positive attitude; influences others to follow a common goal.
Commitment to Quality & Risk Management
The ability to focus on understanding stakeholder’s needs and expectations and to respond effectively and efficiently to them. Has a good knowledge of and is committed to offer a quality service through the achievement of goals, accreditation standards, other organisation/department standards and risk management frameworks and guidelines.
Problem Solving & Decision Making
Identifies and solves problems by understanding the situation, seeking additional information, developing, and weighing alternatives, and choosing the most appropriate course of action given the circumstances.
Manages and utilises the organisation’s resources in the most effective manner to maximise the value for money proposition and to identify costs savings where possible.
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
Speaks and writes clearly, fluently, and effectively to both individuals and groups; communicates in a manner that will persuade, convince, and influence others, to motivate, inspire or encourage them to follow a particular course of action.
This Job Description is intended as a basic guide to the scope and responsibilities of the position and is subject to regular review and amendment. The role holder will be required to be flexible in this position and is expected to facilitate working additional hours on occasion, when requested.
The RCSI Hospital Group is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
For more information click here: https://careers-rcsihospitals.icims.com/jobs/2688/senior-dietitian---permanent-full-and-part-time/job?mobile=false&width=1247&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=0&jun1offset=60